Living without him

Living without him
Seeing all your dreams crumble one by one
Staring at a strangers face in the mirror every morning
Forgetting who you once used to be
Forgetting the sound of joy,of longing,of love
Waking up with wet pillows and smirking at the dramatic nature of it all
Standing by and watching friends vanish and reappear
Standing witness to fickle promises and obsolete pity
Building walls and breaking them down and building them again
Getting tired of the pretense of strength
Loosing hope...rediscovering hope and losing it all again
Questioning God...biting guilt....gasping for faith..... and ..
Encore..Encore...

Then..me...

Realising the pretense is in itself "strength"
Realising that love doesn't die and the pain never really dulls, 
Realising that time is a defunctive healer..but an effective concealer
You can only shut it out for so long
Days weave into days
Nights die and are born again
I find new things to laugh about and I laugh ...or do I?
I force out another one ..... 
That's me? Is that my laughter?
Or is it a guffaw, a giggle, a squeak
I forget
How was I? Before You?

Then..you...

The Ocean.... a dimpled smile...a joke that falls flat on its face
A fall, a prank, dried flowers, your scrawly writing
Old shirts, a pair of shorts, worn out jeans
 The smell, tattered purse and torn bills
Black Boots, Smart Berets, the Olive Green
My eyes
The sound of your laughter in videos replayed a thousand times
Ice-cream...my daughter...men in uniform ..a couple..love..anger...joy..
Everything...
Arrives with a painful pinch of memory and boundless grief..

And now...

I stop..I close the gates..I darken the windows
Insulate my thoughts...
Blind my sorrow...
The tears..they never come..
Held back..like my dreams...
Lost in fate's blind visions
Meandering through untold stories 
And unborn moments
lost..lost..
Like him..
Like me
Like us
Like....Living without him


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts