The union of Time, Joy and Grief





Dear Mukund,

Five wedding anniversaries without you and the sixth one is just around the corner.

Some days...

I wonder how I have survived,
Woken up, breathed, walked and lived
I wonder at the futility of survival when all I wish for
Is that sweet reunion in the last chapter.

I wonder if the tears that don't spill any more 
Mean that my grief has, at long last, started to taper.
I wonder if the sweet smile of our daughter
Will soon overshadow memories of yours 

I wonder if the weighted words of merciless sorrow, 
If Unspoken, unwritten and hidden 
Will render the excruciating sense of loss hollow
And relegate your memories to oblivion.

But these ponderings set my heart afire
For grief is now my tormentor and my savior
All that is buried in the light of day
Come back in the dead of night 

I dream, 
Of your return, a wistful one for the past, a hopeful one for the future.
I dream,  
Of days gone by and days that could have been
I dream,
Knowing that dreams are but the tears of unfulfilled desire 
I dream
My grief into a story, unheard and shared with none
I dream
Of your smile melting into our daughter's face
I dream 
And Joy becomes Grief and Grief becomes Joy 
And you come back.
For a moment.
But you do.
And that is enough...
The generosity of time
The kindness of grief 
The cruelty of  joy
Meet for a moment
And that is enough...

Comments

Popular Posts